The Latest 30 Posts
photo credit Julie Skaratt
Thelma Golden, director and chief curator of the Studio Museum in Harlem, has profoundly influenced the way we look at art. Since the early 1990s, her visionary exhibitions have instigated relevant dialogues surrounding race and culture in the U.S. With the conviction that art is a catalyst for political and social change, her work challenges the viewer to confront the world anew.
Golden was one of the curators of the thought-provoking 1993 Whitney Biennial, which prompted her to work on her landmark exhibition Black Male: Representations of Masculinity in Contemporary American Art, presented at the Whitney Museum of American Art in 1994. Her exhibitions at the Studio Museum, including Freestyle (2001), Frequency (2005) and Flow (2011), aim to define and reveal the experiences of a new generation of black artists from around the world.
- Catherine Opie & Robin Coste LewisWednesday, November 13, 2019, 7pmCinéma du MuséeMontreal Museum of Fine Arts1379-A Sherbrooke Street WestIn EnglishPresented by Art Speaks
- サモアについてのうた(Samoa ni tsuite no uta)A song about SāmoaA keynote lecture with interdisciplinary artist Yuki KiharaThursday, June 13, 20195:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.Concordia University1515 St. Catherine WRoom EV.1-615In EnglishFree Admission, No reserved seatsPresented by GAX 2019
- Art First; All Else Follows A Talk by Jerry SaltzWednesday, April 3, 2019, 7pmThéâtre Outremont1248 avenue Bernard WestIn EnglishFree Admission, No Reserved SeatsPresented by Art Speaks
- What does art have to do with the price of fish? A Talk by Zita CobbMonday, November 12, 2018, 7 PMDB Clarke TheaterHenry F. Hall Building1455 De Maisonneuve Blvd. WestIn EnglishFree Admission, No Reserved SeatsPresented by Art Speaks
- THE BLACK MADONNAA TALK BY THEASTER GATESTuesday March 20, 2018, 6:30 pmMontreal Museum of Fine ArtsMaxwell-Cummings Auditorium1379A Sherbrooke Street WestIn EnglishPresented by Art Speaks and DHC/ART Foundation for Contemporary Art
- Thelma GoldenWednesday, November 29, 2017, 7 pmMusée d’art contemporain de MontréalIn Englishpresented by ART SPEAKS
- Hajra WaheedIntimate ConversationsOctober 4, 2017In Englishpresented by ART SPEAKS
- Frances StarkThursday November 17, 2016Maxwell-Cummings Auditorium1379A Sherbrooke street WestMontreal Museum of Fine ArtsIn EnglishPresented by ART SPEAKS
- Du modernisme au contemporain:la place du papier dans le musée d’art contemporainSunday, April 24, 2016Presented at Papier16In FrenchPresented by ART SPEAKS