The Latest 30 Posts
Video credit Ralitsa Doncheva
Photo credit Vivardy Boursiquot
Art Speaks is delighted to present a fascinating conversation between artist CATHERINE OPIE and poet ROBIN COSTE LEWIS. This candid dialogue will be grounded on ideas that intersect in their work such as feminism, motherhood, identity, representation and the colour blue. Opie and Lewis were both recipients of Guggenheim Fellowships in 2019.
Catherine Opie (b. 1961) is an artist working with photography, film, collage, and ceramics. Her work has been exhibited extensively throughout the United States, and abroad. In 2008, the Guggenheim Museum in New York opened a mid-career exhibition titled, Catherine Opie: American Photographer. She is a professor of photography at the University of California, Los Angeles.
Robin Coste Lewis (b.1964) is the poet laureate of Los Angeles. Her poetry debut, Voyage of the Sable Venus (Knopf, 2015) was honoured with the 2015 National Book Award for Poetry. Lewis has published her work widely in various journals and anthologies, including The New Yorker, The Paris Review, and The New York Times, among others. Currently, she is a Writer-in-Residence at the University of Southern California.
- Catherine Opie & Robin Coste LewisWednesday, November 13, 2019, 7pmCinéma du MuséeMontreal Museum of Fine Arts1379-A Sherbrooke Street WestIn EnglishPresented by Art Speaks
- サモアについてのうた(Samoa ni tsuite no uta)A song about SāmoaA keynote lecture with interdisciplinary artist Yuki KiharaThursday, June 13, 20195:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.Concordia University1515 St. Catherine WRoom EV.1-615In EnglishFree Admission, No reserved seatsPresented by GAX 2019
- Art First; All Else Follows A Talk by Jerry SaltzWednesday, April 3, 2019, 7pmThéâtre Outremont1248 avenue Bernard WestIn EnglishFree Admission, No Reserved SeatsPresented by Art Speaks
- What does art have to do with the price of fish? A Talk by Zita CobbMonday, November 12, 2018, 7 PMDB Clarke TheaterHenry F. Hall Building1455 De Maisonneuve Blvd. WestIn EnglishFree Admission, No Reserved SeatsPresented by Art Speaks
- THE BLACK MADONNAA TALK BY THEASTER GATESTuesday March 20, 2018, 6:30 pmMontreal Museum of Fine ArtsMaxwell-Cummings Auditorium1379A Sherbrooke Street WestIn EnglishPresented by Art Speaks and DHC/ART Foundation for Contemporary Art
- Thelma GoldenWednesday, November 29, 2017, 7 pmMusée d’art contemporain de MontréalIn Englishpresented by ART SPEAKS
- Hajra WaheedIntimate ConversationsOctober 4, 2017In Englishpresented by ART SPEAKS
- Frances StarkThursday November 17, 2016Maxwell-Cummings Auditorium1379A Sherbrooke street WestMontreal Museum of Fine ArtsIn EnglishPresented by ART SPEAKS
- Du modernisme au contemporain:la place du papier dans le musée d’art contemporainSunday, April 24, 2016Presented at Papier16In FrenchPresented by ART SPEAKS