The Latest 30 Posts
photo credit Celeste Sloman
photo credit Eve Tagny
“Art tells you things you didn’t know you needed to know.” – Jerry Saltz
Art Speaks is pleased to present leading art critic, JERRY SALTZ for its upcoming talk.
Jerry Saltz’s witty, provocative writing portrays art and the shifting art market with sharp insight. He has been dubbed the “people’s critic” for his ability to bring art to a broader audience, and for his notable role in stimulating energetic debates on art and politics through social media.
Since 2007, Saltz has been the senior art critic at New York magazine, and has formerly held the same position at the Village Voice from 1998 to 2007. He is the recipient of the 2018 Pulitzer Prize for Criticism, as well as the 2015 National Magazine Award for Columns & Commentary. He has taught at Columbia University, Yale University, and The School of the Art Institute of Chicago, and has written for Frieze, Parkett and Art in America, among many other publications.
- Catherine Opie & Robin Coste LewisWednesday, November 13, 2019, 7pmCinéma du MuséeMontreal Museum of Fine Arts1379-A Sherbrooke Street WestIn EnglishPresented by Art Speaks
- サモアについてのうた(Samoa ni tsuite no uta)A song about SāmoaA keynote lecture with interdisciplinary artist Yuki KiharaThursday, June 13, 20195:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.Concordia University1515 St. Catherine WRoom EV.1-615In EnglishFree Admission, No reserved seatsPresented by GAX 2019
- Art First; All Else Follows A Talk by Jerry SaltzWednesday, April 3, 2019, 7pmThéâtre Outremont1248 avenue Bernard WestIn EnglishFree Admission, No Reserved SeatsPresented by Art Speaks
- What does art have to do with the price of fish? A Talk by Zita CobbMonday, November 12, 2018, 7 PMDB Clarke TheaterHenry F. Hall Building1455 De Maisonneuve Blvd. WestIn EnglishFree Admission, No Reserved SeatsPresented by Art Speaks
- THE BLACK MADONNAA TALK BY THEASTER GATESTuesday March 20, 2018, 6:30 pmMontreal Museum of Fine ArtsMaxwell-Cummings Auditorium1379A Sherbrooke Street WestIn EnglishPresented by Art Speaks and DHC/ART Foundation for Contemporary Art
- Thelma GoldenWednesday, November 29, 2017, 7 pmMusée d’art contemporain de MontréalIn Englishpresented by ART SPEAKS
- Hajra WaheedIntimate ConversationsOctober 4, 2017In Englishpresented by ART SPEAKS
- Frances StarkThursday November 17, 2016Maxwell-Cummings Auditorium1379A Sherbrooke street WestMontreal Museum of Fine ArtsIn EnglishPresented by ART SPEAKS
- Du modernisme au contemporain:la place du papier dans le musée d’art contemporainSunday, April 24, 2016Presented at Papier16In FrenchPresented by ART SPEAKS