The Latest 30 Posts
photo credit Eve Tagny
As a dynamic thinker and successful social entrepreneur, ZITA COBB has inspired many around the world with her visionary approach to creating meaningful change in her home of Fogo Island, Newfoundland. Zita’s initiatives have helped build a new leg on the Island’s economy that had been left bereft by the collapse of the cod fishing industry. Her first project, Fogo Island Arts, is a world-class artist-in-residence program that brings Canadian and international artists, curators, writers and thinkers to live among the island’s communities and work in architect-designed studios placed on bluffs overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. Alumni of the program include artists Jumana Manna, Abbas Akhavan, Brian Jungen and Janice Kerbel.
Through Shorefast, the charity she founded with two of her brothers, Cobb has added numerous initiatives that admirably accomplish her goal of creating resilience for her community. Her powerful story and her commitment to philosopher Dr. Gill Chin Li’s belief in “creating a global network of intensely local places,” will be at the heart of her talk in Montreal. Zita Cobb’s exemplary approach to rural renewal has earned her global praise, an honorary doctorate from Mcgill University as well as the 2016 Order of Canada.
The talk will be followed by a conversation with Nicolaus Schafhausen (Strategic Director) and Alexandra McIntosh (Director of Programs and Exhibitions) of Fogo Island Arts.
ART SPEAKS is dedicated to presenting a platform of international artists and thinkers to provoke and stimulate thought.
- Art and the Defiance of Viral CirculationJason FaragoMonday, May 16, 2022 at 6 pmMaxwell-Cummings AuditoriumMontreal Museum of Fine Arts1379-A Sherbrooke Street WestIn EnglishFree. Reservations required (service charge applies)Presented by ART SPEAKS and the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts
- flow / form conversationsManuel Mathieu and Curtis Talwst Santiago in ConversationTuesday, September 14, 8 PM on IGTV@artspeaksmtl | artspeaks.ca
- Catherine Opie & Robin Coste LewisWednesday, November 13, 2019, 7pmCinéma du MuséeMontreal Museum of Fine Arts1379-A Sherbrooke Street WestIn EnglishPresented by Art Speaks
- サモアについてのうた(Samoa ni tsuite no uta)A song about SāmoaA keynote lecture with interdisciplinary artist Yuki KiharaThursday, June 13, 20195:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.Concordia University1515 St. Catherine WRoom EV.1-615In EnglishFree Admission, No reserved seatsPresented by GAX 2019
- Art First; All Else Follows A Talk by Jerry SaltzWednesday, April 3, 2019, 7pmThéâtre Outremont1248 avenue Bernard WestIn EnglishFree Admission, No Reserved SeatsPresented by Art Speaks
- What does art have to do with the price of fish? A Talk by Zita CobbMonday, November 12, 2018, 7 PMDB Clarke TheaterHenry F. Hall Building1455 De Maisonneuve Blvd. WestIn EnglishFree Admission, No Reserved SeatsPresented by Art Speaks
- THE BLACK MADONNAA TALK BY THEASTER GATESTuesday March 20, 2018, 6:30 pmMontreal Museum of Fine ArtsMaxwell-Cummings Auditorium1379A Sherbrooke Street WestIn EnglishPresented by Art Speaks and DHC/ART Foundation for Contemporary Art
- Thelma GoldenWednesday, November 29, 2017, 7 pmMusée d’art contemporain de MontréalIn Englishpresented by ART SPEAKS
- Hajra WaheedIntimate ConversationsOctober 4, 2017In Englishpresented by ART SPEAKS
- Frances StarkThursday November 17, 2016Maxwell-Cummings Auditorium1379A Sherbrooke street WestMontreal Museum of Fine ArtsIn EnglishPresented by ART SPEAKS
- Du modernisme au contemporain:la place du papier dans le musée d’art contemporainSunday, April 24, 2016Presented at Papier16In FrenchPresented by ART SPEAKS
Filter by Month
- May 2022
- September 2021
- October 2019
- June 2019
- March 2019
- October 2018
- March 2018
- October 2017
- October 2016
- April 2016