The Latest 30 Posts
Art Speaks and the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts are proud to present an original lecture by one of today’s pre-eminent writers about art and culture, The New York Times’ critic at large, Jason Farago, who will speak about art criticism in the digital age.
The last decade brought with it a wholesale transformation of how we encounter images: on screens and via networks, through shares and in feeds, shorn of context, recaptioned, refashioned, and sent on their way once again. When war, illness, entertainment and personal lives all flow through the same image stream, how (if at all) can art retain its distinction? In this talk, Farago will explore the history of image circulation from the printing press to Instagram, the new methods artists forged in response, and the endurance of art in a world of viral images.
Jason Farago, critic at large for The New York Times, writes about art and culture in the U.S. and abroad. In 2022 he was awarded one of the inaugural Silvers-Dudley Prizes for criticism and journalism. He previously wrote for the Guardian, serving as its first U.S. art critic and as an online opinion columnist. He has also been a regular contributor to the New Yorker, the BBC, NPR, the New York Review of Books and Artforum. He holds a bachelor’s degree from Yale University and a master’s degree from the Courtauld Institute of Art in London, both in art history.
Art Speaks is dedicated to presenting a platform of international artists and thinkers to provoke and stimulate thought.
The talk will be presented in English and will be followed by a question period in French and English. Face covering required for the duration of the event.
- David Wallace-Wells & Amitav Ghosh: A Climate Talk Wednesday, September 27, 6 PM Théâtre Outremont 1248, Avenue Bernard West, Outremont In EnglishFree admission, no reservations Presented by ART SPEAKS
- Helen Molesworth in Conversation with Jarrett Earnest Thursday, May 11, 2023 at 6 PM Cinéma du Musée1379-A Sherbrooke Street WestIn EnglishFree admission, no reservations Presented by ART SPEAKS
- Lucas Zwirner in Conversation with Tau Lewis and Woody De OthelloWednesday April 12, 2023 6 PM Amphithéâtre GESÙ 1200, rue BleuryIn EnglishFree admission. No reserved seatsPresented by ART SPEAKS
- Art and the Defiance of Viral CirculationJason FaragoMonday, May 16, 2022 at 6 pmMaxwell-Cummings AuditoriumMontreal Museum of Fine Arts1379-A Sherbrooke Street WestIn EnglishFree. Reservations required (service charge applies)Presented by ART SPEAKS and the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts
- flow / form conversationsManuel Mathieu and Curtis Talwst Santiago in ConversationTuesday, September 14, 8 PM on IGTV@artspeaksmtl | artspeaks.ca
- Catherine Opie & Robin Coste LewisWednesday, November 13, 2019, 7pmCinéma du MuséeMontreal Museum of Fine Arts1379-A Sherbrooke Street WestIn EnglishPresented by Art Speaks
- サモアについてのうた(Samoa ni tsuite no uta)A song about SāmoaA keynote lecture with interdisciplinary artist Yuki KiharaThursday, June 13, 20195:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.Concordia University1515 St. Catherine WRoom EV.1-615In EnglishFree Admission, No reserved seatsPresented by GAX 2019
- Art First; All Else Follows A Talk by Jerry SaltzWednesday, April 3, 2019, 7pmThéâtre Outremont1248 avenue Bernard WestIn EnglishFree Admission, No Reserved SeatsPresented by Art Speaks
- What does art have to do with the price of fish? A Talk by Zita CobbMonday, November 12, 2018, 7 PMDB Clarke TheaterHenry F. Hall Building1455 De Maisonneuve Blvd. WestIn EnglishFree Admission, No Reserved SeatsPresented by Art Speaks
- THE BLACK MADONNAA TALK BY THEASTER GATESTuesday March 20, 2018, 6:30 pmMontreal Museum of Fine ArtsMaxwell-Cummings Auditorium1379A Sherbrooke Street WestIn EnglishPresented by Art Speaks and DHC/ART Foundation for Contemporary Art
- Thelma GoldenWednesday, November 29, 2017, 7 pmMusée d’art contemporain de MontréalIn Englishpresented by ART SPEAKS
- Hajra WaheedIntimate ConversationsOctober 4, 2017In Englishpresented by ART SPEAKS
- Frances StarkThursday November 17, 2016Maxwell-Cummings Auditorium1379A Sherbrooke street WestMontreal Museum of Fine ArtsIn EnglishPresented by ART SPEAKS
- Du modernisme au contemporain:la place du papier dans le musée d’art contemporainSunday, April 24, 2016Presented at Papier16In FrenchPresented by ART SPEAKS
Filter by Month
- August 2023
- April 2023
- March 2023
- May 2022
- September 2021
- October 2019
- June 2019
- March 2019
- October 2018
- March 2018
- October 2017
- October 2016
- April 2016